New Ways vs. Old Ways


I tried a new technique with this project.  Rather than dividing the pattern into often oddly shaped pieces, I opted for panels.  Let me tell you, it really made a big difference when sewing all the sections together.  All the panels lined up perfectly (well perfectly for me) and was quite a bit easier to stitch together.  

"The Old Road to Home", measures 45" x 70" unquilted.  



The gray geese are also sewn together and ready to be quilted.  Now to get this one quilted as well as it's mate, the bird house.  Methinks these guys will get along well together.  

Now to get busy with the quilting part.  I do know I want to use silk batting for light, summer quilts.  What I don't yet know, what to use for the backs.  Try as I may to choose a softer, neutral, perhaps solid backing, I keep pulling out all sorts of my old large scale, patterned Alexander Henry fabrics.  Can an old girl ever get on board with the new ways?



13 comments:

  1. Gasp--your "Old Road Home" is just stunning. You just keep getting better and better! Truly, truly wonderful. Love those light quilts too. Go for that wild Alexander Henry backing! What else can you use it for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "old road..." Quilt is simply spectacular. I can't believe the size! Such talent. And i agre with LeeAnn. Go for bold in the back of the other quilts! Those geese looks so graceful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, that's the way I have been piecing larger (and/or 'pictoral') quilt works for years.

    Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful. oh c'mon use those Alexander Henry prints for something funky wild big and bold!!!! just play.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still don't understand how you dream up these quilts. Another beauty. Isn't it great when you can work out how to do something more efficiently?

    ReplyDelete
  6. These three quilts are each stunning! I bet you could find some beautiful Alexander Henry softer prints for backs if you wanted to keep both ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic work! I would have thought silk to be hotter than cotton as it doesn't "breath" as easily.
    Can't wait to see them all quilted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always amazed at the beauty and scale of your quilts, how you design and make these is a mystery to me. I like that you make both geometric and pictorial quilts, not many people do both. The grey geese quilt is so easy on the eye, it would be a good quilt to live with - it's very complex yet at the same time calming - and I like the way you have the stray geese on the right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have just come across your blog and I too am quite mystified as to how you piece your quilts. I looked back over some of your work, wow! Your commissioned piece of the fall trees was spectacular!
    I've done a little improv piecing, even a series of trees, very small, nowhere near your size or complexity.
    I'm wondering if there are any sites or books you would recommend on this process. So far I've only used a cut and sew method, no pattern. Do you cut all your pieces individually? (If you don't mind me asking)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so spectacular! I love the idea of panels...very smart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning trees!
    And I love your low-volume quilts, especially the one with flying geese. I am trying to promote low-volume quilts in France because it is such a great trend!
    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the trees! You are very good at that : )

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.